Saturday, December 26, 2009

Wonderful Christmas!

Well for someone who hates the holidays, I sure loved these! What a wonderful time we had! We had our first white Christmas in over 20 years and while it was a pain (the whole state seemed to shut down) it was beautiful! We haven’t been snowed in for some time now, but I’m telling you just getting out and going a mile up the road was difficult. I’m trying to decide where I should start there is so much to tell.

I guess I should start with Ciara’s birthday. It was a really nice day even though I only got to spend half of it with her because the other half she was with her dad. We got her an iPod dock radio and a CD player for her birthday and she seemed to love both gifts. I made her favorite chocolate cake and we took it to church for a small party after Wednesday night services were done. She had a little friend come and stay the night for a few nights and they had a blast. We still have to have a party for her when it warms up some, but for the most party her birthday is over and done with. She’s 12 now and it makes me feel so incredibly old (and I know I’m not).

Christmas Eve was fun for the most part. It was on the 24th that we got all the ice and snow. For the majority of the day we were snowed in and I still can’t believe we actually got out and went to Ma’s for a small get together. Christmas Eve was the only time the whole family could get together so everyone came down and we played Farkle and ate snack foods all night. It was horribly cold outside and earlier in the day, when it was sleeting something awful, I had to go out and feed the horses and the rabbits. This is when farm life seems hard! But other than that the day went very well! It was the nicest Christmas Eve I’ve had in years! I actually got to spend Christmas Eve with Ciara (the snow was too bad for her dad to come get her) and this is the first time that’s it’s happened in 10 years! It made it very special and the only way it could’ve been any better is if all the girls had been with us.

Christmas day we woke up to a blanket of white snow all over the ground! It was picture worthy although I forgot to take any. I should still go out and do that. Ciara got a PSP from Santa along with her stocking stuffers and a game to play in her PSP (PSP stands for PlayStation Portable). She also got a mattress heater (very nice wish I had one!), Bath and Body Works stuff, a robe, and an iTunes gift card (I’m sure there are things I forgot but you get the picture). After she opened up her presents we started getting ready to drop her off with her dad and to go pick up the girls in MidWest City. The roads were awful!! It took us over 40 minutes to drop her off at the gas station and normally it only takes 15 minutes to get there. Then we were off to get the girls. We started counting the cars that had spun out and lost control and got stuck and round trip of 30 miles, we counted over 50 cars! We picked up the girls and headed back home to open presents. Overall it took us over 3 hours to make the round trip! It was insane! So we got back home and opened presents. Brenna got tons of clothes and a martini maker. Megan got a Chi, cookbook, clothes, the Sarah Palin book, bowls, and other stuff I’m forgetting. Shay got a new iPod, Carhartt jacket, a kit for her truck, iTunes card, and then they all got money to go shopping. Danny and I both got new pj’s , new wallets, and the girls are taking us to get family pictures in January (the best gift ever!). Then Danny got a grooming set and they got us a picture frame for our pictures. I got the cutest purse and Danny got me my iPhone!!! Talk about a wonderful Christmas!

After that we started getting ready to go back down to Ma’s. We needed to get Steve unstuck out of their driveway and in the process Danny got stuck. But Steve cooked a wonderful brisket and Tanya made Chex Mix and a 7 layer dip. We got Jennifer blocks and a Bible. We got Ma two pictures of the family. We played Skipbo and Farkle until midnight when we finally decided to go home. I think everyone had a wonderful Christmas and I know it’s not one I will soon forget.

Overall I think it was a wonderful set of holidays. Seeing Ma up and around and eating is just such a blessing. I’m also reminded of what a wonderful family I have been so blessed with. Of course we can’t forget the real reason we celebrate Christmas and that is the birth of our wonderful Savior and Lord. God as a babe, coming to save us from our sins and make the ultimate sacrifice because of His all surpassing love for us! What a great and mighty God we serve!! We are so blessed to be able to celebrate His birth. I have a poem I wrote a few years back that I will post later on. But it’s just my idea of what the very first Christmas must have been like. I can’t imagine the joy Mary had holding God in her arms. Yes, I do imagine she had a lot to ponder in her heart. As for my heart, it is filled with love for my family and friends. I blessed by you all! I hope all of your Christmas wishes came true and it was just as much of a blessing to you as it was for us!

Melissa Fitzwilliam

No comments:

Post a Comment