Tuesday, February 9, 2010

I Got the Job...

It feels like it’s been an amazingly long day and I am so beat! I definitely have the job as I went today for training and ended up staying to work. My boss’s name is Farry and she seems to be very nice, but I am undetermined if she is a Christian yet. She comes from Bangladesh and got here ten years ago. She speaks English very well and can be clearly understood. She seems to have a worldly way about her, nothing screams out, “I’m saved, I’m a follower of Christ” as I wish it would. I was truly hoping to find a job where I would be surrounded by Christians, but maybe God is giving me an opportunity to be a light in this oh so dark world.

I got up early this morning to get ready for my first day of training. I had no idea that I would end up working the whole day so I didn’t wear the right kind of shoes (ouch!). Danny was still up and that sweet husband of mine fixed me coffee and got it ready to go for me. I can already tell that I’m going to miss him like crazy even though he’s asleep during the day, I still know he’s in the next room. I can tell you the stress of having a job and the nerves that go with a new one has already hit me. When we were standing in the kitchen the dogs were running around barking like crazy and I just went off! I started screaming for them to shut up and it just caught Danny off guard. The dogs stopped and looked at me because I’ve never yelled at them like that before but it was almost like I was having a mini-panic attack.

I headed into work (ok that sounds weird to me lol) and I kept wondering if this is really what God wanted for me (and I’m still not 100% sure). I prayed that He would show me the path He wanted me to take and whatever it may be I would follow it. That takes a lot of faith for me to say that right now! I’m already missing being at home and it isn’t even my first full day of work! I know part of it is the depression so I’m hoping this clears soon. In any case, I got there early and beat Farry there which is what I was hoping for. Nothing says “I’m a bad employee” like being late on your very first day. She seemed very excited to see me and wanted to get started right away.

The run of the store is very basic. The one thing is, is that there is only one person there running the store while it’s open. For wanting interaction, this doesn’t give me very much. I have to count the drawer when I get there and make sure we have the right start up amount, then it’s off to cleaning the store. She likes an immaculate store and it is very neat and tidy and part of the job is keeping it that way all of the time. She gives you this long list of things to be done every day, so you can never complain about being bored. We do inventory every day! She wants to be on top of loss prevention and she says the best way to do that is to know at all times what you have in your store and what you don’t. I also think it keeps the employees very honest!

While I was cleaning the store, she left for awhile to go get her nails done. She said she would be right back and an hour later I was wondering if she was coming back lol. I wanted to get as much accomplished as I could while she was gone so when she came back she wouldn’t think she had hired someone lazy. I think I accomplished my goal because the first thing she asked when she came back is if I could handle the store for a few hours when she had to leave in the afternoon. I asked her if I was officially hired and she came back with a resounding yes! I can’t tell you if I was relieved or not because I was so nervous about running the store by myself after only working three hours. I still feel uneasy at the thought of running a store all by myself. Call it a lack of self confidence if you will, but my knees were knocking lol. She’s already talking about moving me up to lead sales in the next few months if I can show I can sale the clothes as good as I keep the store! It’s all moving so fast that it blows my mind.

That’s the other area I’m nervous about is being able to sale the clothes. You would think it would be easy, but working in a store where the clothes are so expensive and being part commission, makes the stakes higher. Don’t get me wrong, I want to sale, but I’m not a pushy person by nature. She doesn’t come off pushy, but man she knows how to sale those clothes! She seems to have a natural ability to do so, to where I see myself as lacking in that particular area. So please be in prayer that the Lord blesses me in this job and makes me productive in being able to sale the clothes. When she finally left I ran the store without any problems, saw a few customers, but didn’t sale anything. I was fine with the fact that I didn’t have a melt down by myself. I think it was a big accomplishment for me. She wants me back for one more day of training on Friday before I start working my regular hours that following Monday. So I think this will work out very well.

When I got done with that I had a surprise text message waiting on me. Ciara made her first A on a science test!!! I was so excited because her grades have been so bad in there. I made her study extra hard on this test and it paid off!! I think she was as excited as I was lol. I ran back home really quick to grab some checks to deposit in the band and then headed into MidWest City where we do our banking. I ended up driving close to 100 miles today in all the driving I had to do! I pray the other days aren’t this wide spread in locations I have to go, because otherwise all the money I’m earning will just go to put gas in my car.

When I got done with my running in town I headed back out to the country to go the women’s Bible study. We went over Sunday’s message again and it was really good. I just enjoy being with the women and getting a chance to unwind and enjoy a cup of tea with them. Speaking of tea, it makes me think of coffee. Much to my sadness my coffee dates with Tara are coming to an end. We only got a few in but the ones we had were always so much fun! I will miss them so much! Also money is running so tight right now we don’t have enough to buy our chocolate coffee and I want some so badly! So maybe that’s why I’ve been depressed is because we’re out of chocolate coffee lol. I’m having withdraws!

I hurried back home after Bible study so I could see Danny before he left for work. I made it just in the nick of time because he was walking out to the truck to leave when I pulled in the driveway. I will continue to declare how lonely these nights are without him, because the house just isn’t the same when I’m all by myself. I had thought about cleaning when I got home, but I have a horrible headache and I think I’m just ready for bed. Ciara told me today, when I talked with her, that she would help me clean the house for this upcoming Saturday when we finally meet Gil, Brenna’s boyfriend. I will go ahead and get started on it tomorrow and on Thursday but I think I will take Ciara up on her offer to help out. Well once again I feel like I’ve been rambling on for hours now, but I feel better since I got all this off my chest. We’ll see what the remainder of this week has to bring and please continue to pray for God’s clear guidance in my life.

Melissa Fitzwilliam

1 comment:

  1. Wow, thank you God for answering prayer and supplying you with a job! Will continue to pray that he will bless you in it and that you will prosper. It sounds like the Lord has put you in a place where you'll be stretched and need to rely on him even more. I pray your faith will grow in it!

    ReplyDelete