Wednesday, July 29, 2009

God's great love for Edom!! (and me!)

It started out as such a good day. I went and helped Jean up at the school, trying to get her room ready for the big day. Ciara left (sadness) to be with her dad today. I did a little shopping and came home. When I got home I realized I needed to feed the dogs and started calling them. Well Rucca and Amos came but Edom wasn’t coming. This is so unlike her. I continued to call until I realized I was going to have to look for her because something was wrong. I could just feel it, she always comes when it’s time to eat. I didn’t have to look far, God led me to her. She was lying under the truck whining and all curled up in a ball. Once I was able to coax her out I could see she was bleeding and she wouldn’t put any weight on her back right leg. It looked like a fresh hurt. I whisked her up and took her straight to the vet. When we got there they said they would have to keep her to see what was going on and they asked if she could’ve been hit by a car. I told them since we live on a dead end I didn’t see how it was possible but who knows. They told me they would give me a call after they were able to x-ray her and give me the results. When they called back I was astounded! Yes her leg was broke, but it was because someone had shot her with a gun. They said she has shrapnel in her leg and to get it fixed would be around $800.00. How do we come up with that kind of money? She’s only two years old and is the sweetest and gentlest dog we have and putting her down just didn’t seem right. Well I prayed on the way to church looking for some kind of answer on why someone would do this and how were we going to be able to fix it. I felt silly for asking prayer for wisdom at church on this issue, but that is so much money and money that we don’t have. This is Ciara’s dog and how do I explain to her that someone shot her dog and we didn’t have the money to have the surgery done so we put her to sleep. Just thinking about it makes me cry. Well God is good, He is always good. After church let out I talked with Hiawatha and Gary and they both want to help out getting Edom fixed. What an awesome God I serve! My heart was just breaking over the decision and God took it right out of my hands! God has given us the most amazing church family, better than any biological family we could ask for! My heart is bursting with praise and love right now. Animals just become a part of the family and to lose one of them is devastating and Ciara has already lost so many that to lose another one is just cruel. But it won’t have to be something I worry about now. God always has everything under control even when things appear to be in chaos. It makes me feel ashamed that my faith isn’t bigger than what it should be! I am humbled by His grace and mercy and I am bewildered by His great love. Who would have thought that a broken leg on a dog could bring out such an amazing demonstration of His great love towards us! Saying all this, I can’t let Danny’s response go unnoticed. When I told him, he wasted no time in saying we would do the surgery and just put it on a credit card and pay it out. His love for animals goes as deep as mine does, but not deeper than God’s love for them. Yes He cares for us all, great and small. It does go to show you never can know what a day will hold for you. You wake up and everything is fine, but it can all change in a moment. Just ask Job. Well it’s the end of the day now and I am here all alone again and I hate that. But I will rest in the arms of the One who loves me so and I pray rest easy tonight. I serve a great and powerful, yes holy, God and I am humble to be called His child. I have the best Daddy in the whole universe, literally! He loves me so and I love Him so! Forever He is my Beloved and forever I am His!

Melissa Fitzwilliam

No comments:

Post a Comment