Tuesday, May 19, 2009

In Search of My Little One

If anyone could help me, I’m in the greatest need of assistance. I have seemed to lost my baby. She’s beautiful and wrapped in pink. She is so very small and needs me so very much. She has dark brown curly hair and a little bow of a mouth. She needs me so badly. Can you help me please? Excuse me, but I seem to have lost my toddler. She is such a busy little thing darting in and out so fast that I can’t keep up with her. Her energy goes on all day and leaves little time for rest, but come evening after I have washed her and put lotion on her and she smells like the baby she once was, we curl up in a chair for a bedtime story as I rock her to sleep. Could you help me find my little darling? I’m sorry to bother you but my little girl has disappeared. I can’t remember if her long curly hair is in a ponytail today or if I braided it in pigtails. She’s very smart, she can tell you her name and her address and my name too. She has the most beautiful, big brown eyes. They will either break your heart as she cries or make you laugh at the merriment and mischief they have when she is out exploring and playing. Could you please help me find my little one? Pardon me, but I seem to have lost my daughter. Many people say she looks just like me, but I know she is more beautiful than I. She is smart, but a little big for her britches at times. While she is still so young, please don’t tell her, because she is convinced she is older and knows more than most. The truth is, she is so amazingly bright! She makes me so proud as I look at her. I wonder how in the world God decided to bless me with such a precious gift! I am not worthy and she deserves so much more, yet she is content and happy to be called mine. Can someone take me back to the times when I could cuddle her close and smell that sweet baby smell, the one that lifted your heart and put your soul to easy because she was right there in your arms and away from whatever harms may come. Can someone take me back to the day when we were learning words and sentences? When she would put things together that would make you laugh so hard you would cry, and you knew those were the moments your heart grasped so never to forget. Can someone take me back to when she thought the moon jumped with her and when she turned in circles the sun followed her too? I want those carefree days of running outside and playing, swimming and shocking her as I jumped in the pool with all my work clothes on. It made her day. She laughed so hard and told me how silly I was. Can someone take me back to when she finally began to understand the beautiful and awe-inspiring life that we live? I remember when the questions became so hard that I too wondered and drank in her imagination. I remember the day when I grabbed her hand and we ran in the pouring rain, laughing and playing tag. We slipped in the mud and got up to do it all over again. We jumped on the trampoline and watched the water fly up just as we did and watched in awe of it all. Or the time when we picked mulberries under the tree with no shoes on and ate more than we gathered; but that happened so very many times. You see I searching for this amazing little girl and I am finding she’s growing up. And I look back and wonder when did I miss it all? I want to play one little finger, chew on her cheek and make her giggle, sing her songs (even out of tune) and hear her tell me how much she loves me, to tell her to say her prayers and have sweet dreams. I have my daughter, and she is beautiful, just a little older, with much to do, and for one day I want to relive our moments forever locked in my heart.
Melissa Fitzwilliam

No comments:

Post a Comment